In general, a course week consists of the following elements:
- Welcome Message: A short text (Text Page) which gives an overview about the upcoming course week and leads to the next important course dates and assignment deadlines.
- Videos and Self-Tests (Quizzes): Videos and linked self-tests (quizzes) make up the main part of the course content. The clips shouldn’t extend a length of 10 minutes. Self-tests (quizzes) should take up and recap most important findings from the videos. (2-5-questions).
- Additional Readings: at the end of a learning week (prior publishing the weekly assignments) a text page with links to additional readings is provided (Web-Links, PDF-documents, collected slides of the week, etc.)
- Weekly Assignments and Sample Solutions: the last Item of a week is the quiz, which will make up the weekly assignment. In order to create the sample solution the textual explanation possibilities offered in the quiz system (either at question and answer level) should be used. If the publishing date of the sample solution is stated correctly, the publishing of the answers will be carried out automatically after the quiz deadline has passed.
- Additional Learning Material (Optional): further videos, self-tests and pages with learning material can be added after the weekly assignments. But only if these don’t belong to the actual learnings relevant to the contents of the weekly assignments. It is important to highlight these facts on the relevant pages.
- Special Interest Features (Optional):
- Peer Assessments: more complex exercises and exams can be created by using the Peer Assessment feature. Students have to hand in a solution for the given task, which can be of any nature. The second part of this assessment type is the obligatory grading of a certain amount of submissions from their peers by the participants. (Remark: this assessment type can severely increase the workload for both: participants and teaching team.)
- Coding Exercises with Automated Grading: coding exercises in almost any programming language can be assigned using the add-on tool Code Ocean.
- Custom Exercises: teaching teams can invent and integrate almost any kind of exercise using the platform's LTI interface.